News Center | Office of Communications
In order to track and manage projects, the Office of Communication asks that you use the following guidelines to submit project requests.
Ad Approval/Brand Review
All advertisements or printed items with any University of Houston logo, logotype, or trademark must be approved by the University. This process is called UH Brand Review, and is mandated by the MAPP 04.01.03 Section VII Item N - Advertisements. Marketing and advertising pieces developed by the Bauer Office of Communications for the C. T. Bauer College of Business that are subject to this policy need to be submitted through the UH Brand Review process by the college office that requested the material. The Bauer College Office of Communications will assist the office with any revisions that are necessary as part of the UH Brand Review process.
Click here to submit a web development request using the Bauer Help Desk. Web development requests include changes or updates to existing pages as well as creation of new pages. Once your request is submitted, it will be assigned to an Office of Communication web developer, who will contact you with any questions and update your request through the Bauer Help Desk.
Requests include creation of materials (such as fliers, invitations, brochures, pamphlets, etc.), existing material delivery (if supplies are available), and logo approval. Click here to submit a graphic design request using the Bauer Help Desk. Include as much information as possible, including format of the piece, what content exists and what content needs to be created, delivery date, etc. Note that requests should be made as far in advance of your delivery date as possible. Last-minute requests may be denied based on project load, along with the time needed for proofing, official approval and/or printing and mailing. Once your request is submitted, it will be assigned to an Office of Communications graphic designer, who will contact you with any questions and update your request through the Bauer Help Desk.
- If you are in need of promotional items, please visit www.bauermerch.com to view a catalog of items that can be purchased.
- If you need items that have already been created by the Office of Communications, please visit https://www.bauer.uh.edu/fulfillment/ to request these materials.
Request a Logo
For faculty, staff and students’ use, the Bauer College logo can be obtained in digital format by contacting the Office of Communications and specifying the intended use for the logo.
For commercial purposes, or for anyone outside the college who would like to use the Bauer College logo, refer to the UH Graphic Standards Manual for information on logo usage, licensing and trademarks, and partnerships.
Photography & Videography
The Office of Communications provides photography and videography services for Bauer College. Due to limited resources, all photography and videography requests are assessed on an individual basis, and coverage is not guaranteed.
The steps below provide an overview of OOC photography and videography services and how Bauer faculty and staff can make photography requests.
Types of Photo Requests
- Headshots (standard business headshots that can be used on the Bauer web directory, within college communication pieces or to represent Bauer College within another organization’s materials, i.e. you are serving as a guest speaker or subject matter expert, using your Bauer College affiliation)
The Office of Communications does not provide headshot photography for LinkedIn or other personal uses.
- Portraits (stylized images to be used for college communication pieces, advertisements, the Bauer website, etc.)
Portrait photography art direction is led by the Office of Communications and should reflect current college image standards and style.
- Event Coverage (candid photos that capture an event and can be used within college communication pieces and/or for future event promotion)
The Office of Communications cannot guarantee photographer availability for all events. Even requests with a long lead time may not be fulfilled. If you want guaranteed photography coverage of your event, we recommend budgeting for paid photography services.)
Types of Video Requests
- Event Coverage (a short, produced video that captures an event and can be used within college communication pieces and/or for future event promotion. Note that the Office of Communications does not fulfill requests to film an entire event for historical or recording-keeping purposes.)
The Office of Communications cannot guarantee videographer availability for all events. Even requests with a long lead time may not be fulfilled. If you want guaranteed videography coverage of your event, we recommend budgeting for paid videography services.)
- Narrative/Storytelling (produced videos used for a range of marketing and promotional purposes. Video should fall into one of our standard Narrative/Storytelling formats: Program Promotion, Faculty Research, Student Success, Alumni Success)
Note that these types of videos require a longer lead time for producing a final piece. Clients should request these types of videos at least three months in advance to account for pre-production, production and finalizing of the video. Once your request is submitted, we will reach out to schedule a planning meeting to determine the scope of work, which will allow us to produce a timeline for execution.
- Short-Form (video pieces that are typically less than 2 minutes and intended for use within social media platforms such as Instagram Reels and TikTok or on the Bauer College website. Short-Form video can also be used to add motion and interest as part of the programming for an event.)
Although this video type is short, the overall process (pre-production, production, post-production) is the same as Narrative/Storytelling and longer formats. Clients should request these types of videos at least a month in advance to account for our workflow. Once your request is submitted, we will reach out to schedule a planning meeting and discuss turnaround time for your video.
- We require at least three weeks' advance notice to schedule a photo request.
- Submit requests using the Help Desk system, selecting “Photography” as the request type.
- In the Details section of the Help Desk ticket, provide the following information:
- Purpose/benefit for the use of your photos (Images that can be used for college-level communications will have a priority for coverage, and we cannot fulfill photo requests that do not have a specific end use.)
- Date/time/location of coverage (Requests that are on campus and within standard work hours Monday-Friday are more likely to be fulfilled.)
- Description of the types of photos requested (Specific requests and shot lists are appreciated.)
- Name of the person designated to managing photo release and FERPA forms (see Photo Release section below.) (If you cannot provide a dedicated individual to manage this during your event, we cannot provide photography services.)
Photo and FERPA Release Forms
The University of Houston requires that individuals are photographed or filmed in connection with UH for use on the website and related site or in any UH-produced programs, advertising, promotion, social media and/or publicity complete an Authorization for Use of Image form (photo release). In addition, if the subject of the photo/video is a UH student or former student, a FERPA release is required.
It is the responsibility of each department to maintain executed photo and FERPA release forms. They should be kept on file indefinitely.
You can review the comprehensive list of photo release guidelines here, where you can also access the necessary forms.
We require anyone requesting event photography to designate a person within their team to manage photo release and FERPA forms. This person should procure the necessary physical copies of the forms (or set up approved software to execute releases) prior to the event and be available during the entire requested timeframe for photo/video services to have any individuals photographed complete the appropriate forms. In addition, this person must include identifying information for any individuals photographed so that forms can be matched to the correct photo files after the event.
At the end of the event, the person managing photo release and FERPA forms should provide the Office of Communications photographer/videographer/staff member on hand with the completed documents to be logged. Once we have logged the forms in our system, we will return hard copies to the Bauer unit to keep on file.
- Headshot photography cannot be done on location. All headshots and portraits requiring a solid backdrop are photographed in Melcher Hall 322, a secure studio location that is used only by the Office of Communications.
- All videos require pre-production, editing and post-production. While we appreciate faculty and staff involvement and recommendations related to scripting and overall style, all videography art direction is led by the Office of Communications and must adhere to overall UH brand standards.
- Photography services provided by the Office of Communications are limited. We cannot guarantee our availability, and your request may be denied for a range of reasons. We will make every effort to recommend alternative photography providers if we cannot fulfill your request (note that fees and contracts will likely be required for photography and videography services outside the Office of Communications).
Bauer College units typically will not be charged for photography and videography services provided by the Office of Communications unless there are extenuating circumstances (ie an off-campus location that requires a permit or booking fee).
However, if you need services that are beyond the scope of what the Office of Communications provides (outlined in “Types of Photo Requests” and “Types of Video Requests” sections above), we can recommend university vendors to fulfill your requests (note that your department is responsible for any contracts, requisitions and invoices generated from outside vendors).
In addition to visually capturing events and stories, the Office of Communications offers editorial coverage through its team of writers. The content created can be showcased in a number of ways, including online at bauerticker.uh.edu and in Office of Communications print pieces. The Office of Communications also handles media outreach — if you have a story that warrants press coverage, contact Jessica Navarro, executive director of communication to determine the best strategy.
The Office of Communications administers official social media accounts for the college on Facebook (profile | page), Twitter (@UHBauerCollege), Instagram (@uhbauercollege), YouTube (channel – UHBauerCollege), Pinterest (@uhbauercollege) and Snapchat (@uhbauercollege). We encourage users within the college to send information to Jessica Navarro, executive director of communication, via email to share on these established, official pages, rather than creating separate accounts for a particular department/center/office/organization. Our accounts have an established history with users of frequent and relevant updates, along with large numbers of followers and members, and our office has the capacity to keep these accounts current and robust.
Bauer College uses digital signage within its three buildings to provide current information on college events, academic deadlines and opportunities for Bauer students, faculty, staff and visitors. (Some of the digital signage locations are commonly referred to as the "video wall.") All digital signage at Bauer is regulated and maintained by the college’s Office of Communications (www.bauer.uh.edu/comm). Content may be submitted to the Office of Communications. Note: submitted content may be altered to comply with brand and graphic standards. The Office of Communications reserves the right to review and evaluate content to determine if it is appropriate for digital signage in Bauer College buildings. Priority for display will be given to Bauer faculty, staff, student and alumni content. Read more about how to submit digital signage requests, including the policies governing such requests, pre-approved templates and locations of digital screens with Bauer College.
The Office of Communications creates and manages e-communications for the college. We define e-communications as broadcast email messages intended for an audience of 100 or more people (alumni, donors, friends, students). Per the university’s email policy regarding the effectiveness of e-communications, any email going to a distribution of 100 or more must be managed through the Office of Communications and official university-supported e-communications tools. Our process follows the university's e-communications policies and requires you to submit a request in advance using the Bauer Help Desk (select request type "E-communications"). Because the e-communications process involves many steps, you must submit your request no later than one month before your desired message launch date. Please note that we must work within the university’s e-communications calendar, so your desired message launch date may not be available. We will make every effort to secure your desired message launch date, or if not available, a date as close as possible to what you request.
Please be specific in your request and include the intended distribution, content and launch date. When sending in your request, it is important to remember:
- Send in your request at least a month in advance.
- Depending on time of year and workload, more notice may be required. After your request is submitted to the Bauer Help Desk, a member of the Office of Communications team will contact you directly to discuss scheduling and to confirm your message’s launch date.
- It is important for you to have existing content (text, photos, links) or direction for the Office of Communications team regarding content, when you make your request. When we begin working on your e-communications request, it will take between 5-7 business days (minimum) to build and test the email and to secure necessary approvals. If the Office of Communications team must generate your content or do a great deal of content creation, we must add that time into the overall timeline and factor in existing projects and staff workload.
- Please also consider the distribution when making your request. If you are requesting to send a message to a targeted, specific list that you do not currently have, you should factor in additional time for pulling the list and loading into our e-communications tools.
- The Office of Communications reserves the right to edit content based on style, grammar, branding and other college-level policies. You will have the opportunity to work with the office and review any edits prior to launch.
- We try to schedule e-communications as far in advance as possible, but at times, the need may arise for us to reschedule your e-communication, even if scheduled far in advance, due to high-priority events. If so, we will notify you as soon as possible with alternate launch date options.
Note: we cannot “blast” e-communications messages to all university addresses. If you have a message that you would like a university-level audience to receive, you should email Amanda Sebesta or Jessica Navarro with details. We can recommend that the university include this information in its e-communications or find an alternate way to share, if appropriate.
The college sends out a monthly, event specific e-communication to all Bauer alumni (approximately 30,000 email addresses) the first week of each month. We encourage all constituents at Bauer College to submit event information at least three weeks in advance of the BauerConnect send dates, typically the first week of February, March, April, September and October. BauerConnect is a great resource for advertising your event without scheduling an individual email.
- Office of Communications
- Social Media
- Media Mentions
- Bauer Business Focus
- Bauer Blogs
- Contact Us
For direct media inquiries and to interview a faculty expert, contact:
Executive Director, Communications
Office of Communications
Melcher Hall Room 320G
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-6021