David X. Peng
Xiaosong (David) Peng is an Associate Professor in Bauer College of Business, University of Houston. Dr. Peng received his master's degree in information systems management from Carnegie Mellon University and his doctoral degree in operations and management science from the Carlson School of Management, University of Minnesota. He worked as a procurement manager for a fortunate 500 company before starting his academic career. Dr. Peng's current research interests include supply chain strategy, global sourcing, and information technology impacts on supply chain. His research has appeared in Journal of Operations Management, Production and Operations Management, Decision Sciences, International Journal of Production Research, among others. He is currently an associate editor for Journal of Operations Management, Decision Sciences Journal, and Journal of Supply Chain Management.
- Supply chain strategy
- Sourcing strategy
- Management of technology
Areas of Expertise
- Statistical analysis Econometric analysis Survey research Process modeling
- Peng, D.X., Yuan, Y., Feng, B., Ding, X., Heim, G. (2019). Impacts of Hospital Complexity on Experiential Quality: Mitigating Role of Information Technology, Accepted, Decision Sciences
- Liu, W., Shi, Chen, Peng, D.X. (2019), The Effects of Mergers and Acquisitions Announcements on Shareholder Value in the Logistics Industry, Accepted, International Journal of Shipping and Transport Logistics
- Peng, D. X., Lu, G., (2017). "Exploring the Impact of Delivery Performance on Customer Transaction Volume and Unit Price: Evidence from an Assembly Manufacturing Supply Chain", Production and Operations Management", Forthcoming
- Perdikaki, O., Peng, D.X., Heim, G.R. (2015). "Impact of Customer Traffic and Service Process Outsourcing Levels on e-Retailer Performance", 24(11), 1794-1811
- Bregman, R., Peng, D.X., Chin, W. (2015) "The effect of controversial global sourcing practices on the ethical judgments and intentions of U.S. consumers", Journal of Operations Management. (36) 229-243
- Peng, D. X., Heim, G.R., Mallick, D. (2014). "Collaborative Product Development: The Effect of Project Complexity on the Use of Information Technology Tools and New Product Development Practices." Production and Operations Management: 23(8), 1421-1438
- Chuang, H. H.-C., Lu, G., Peng, D.X., Heim, G.R. (2014). "Impact of Value-Added Service Features in E-Retailing Processes: An Econometric Analysis of Website Functions." Decision Sciences, 45(6). 1159-1186
- Heim, G. R., Peng, D.X., Jayanthi, S. (2014). "Longitudinal Analysis of Inhibitors of Manufacturer Delivery Performance." Decision Sciences, 45(6), 1117-1158
- Koufteros, X., Peng, D.X., Lu. G., Peters, R. (2013). "The Impact of Organizational Structural Design on Internal and External Integration: An Empirical Assessment and a Cross-Regional Examination." Journal of Organization Design.
- Peng, D. X., Verghese, A., Shah, R., Schroeder, R. (2013). "The Relationships between External Integration and Plant Improvement and Innovation Capabilities: The Moderation Effect of Product Clockspeed." Journal of Supply Chain Management 49(3): 3-24.
- Peng, D. X., Lai. F. (2012). "Using partial least squares in operations management research: A practical guideline and summary of past research." Journal of Operations Management 30(6): 467-480.
- Heim, G. R., Mallick, D., Peng. D.X. (2012). "Antecedents and Consequences of New Product Development Practices and Software Tools: An Exploratory Study." IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management 59(3): 428-442.
- Teixeira, R., Koufteros, X., Peng, D.X. (2012). "Organizational Structure, Integration, and Manufacturing Performance: A Conceptual Model and Propositions." Journal of Operations and Supply Chain Management 5(1): 69-81.
- Peng, D. X., Liu, G., Heim, G.R. (2011). "Impacts of information technology on mass customization capability of manufacturing plants." International Journal of Operations & Production Management 31(10): 1022 - 1047.
- Peng, D. X., Schroeder, R.G, Shah, R. (2011). "Competitive priorities, plant improvement and innovation capabilities, and operational performance: A test of two forms of fit." International Journal of Operations & Production Management 31(5): 484 - 510.
- Schroeder, R. G., Shah, R., Peng, D.X. (2010). "The cumulative capability 'sand cone' model revisited: a new perspective for manufacturing strategy." International Journal of Production Research 49(16): 4879-4901.
- Heim, G. R., Peng, D.X. (2010). "The impact of information technology use on plant structure, practices, and performance: An exploratory study." Journal of Operations Management 28(2): 144-162.
- Heim, G. R., Wentworth Jr, W.R., Peng, D.X. (2009). "The Value to the Customer of RFID in Service Applications." Decision Sciences 40(3): 477-512.
- Peng, D. X., Schroeder, R.G., Shah, R. (2008). "Linking routines to operations capabilities: A new perspective." Journal of Operations Management 26(6): 730-748.
Academic Associations & Editorial Boards
- Associate Editor, Journal of Operations Management
- Senior Editor, Production and Operations Management
- Associate Editor, Decision Sciences
- Associate Editor, Journal of Supply Chain Management
- MH 260C
- No Web Site Currently
- Strategic Supply Management, MBA and MS
- Strategic Supply Management, Undergraduate
- Supply Chain Strategy, doctoral seminar
- Introduction to Supply Chain Management
Ph.D., University of Minnesota
M.S., Carnegie Mellon University
B.S., Beijing Institute of Technology