Dr. Meade is an associate professor of Accountancy and Taxation at the University of Houston, where she teaches courses in individual and corporate taxation, as well as tax research. She received her Ph.D. from Arizona State University. She holds the CGMA designation and is a licensed CPA in the state of Arizona. She is the author of over two dozen articles and research papers on topics ranging from tax and investment planning, accounting education, and practice management. She has presented her research at national conferences and regional meetings, and she is the recipient of several research grants and fellowships.
- Investment planning
- Tax lobbying
Areas of Expertise
- Capital taxation
- Alternative tax regimes
- Professional tax research
- Former Shareholders Liable for Tax on Constructively Fraudulent Transer. Journal of Accountancy 226 (October 2018): 54-55.
- Erroneously Claimed Single Status Does Not Foreclose Switching to a Joint Return. Journal of Accountancy 225 (January 2018): 62.
- Estate Allowed Deduction for Theft Loss Suffered by an LLC in Which It Held an Interest. Journal of Accountancy 223 (January 2017): 70.
- Damage from Collapsed Retaining Wall Is Not Deductible to Co-op Stockholder. Journal of Accountancy 222 (October 2016): 66-67.
- Infrequent Sale of Scrap Steel Is Not Subject to Self-Employment Tax. Journal of Accountancy 222 (July 2016): 70-71.
- Strategic Corporate Tax Lobbying. With S. Li. Journal of the American Taxation Association 37 (Fall 2015): 23-48.
- Domestic Production Gross Receipts Not Derived From Free Phone App. Journal of Accountancy 219 (March 2015): 67-68.
- Former Qwest CEO Could Qualify for Tax Refund from Forfeited Insider Trading Gain. Journal of Accountancy 217 (June 2014): 65-66.
- The De Minimis Safe Harbor Under the Repair Regulations. With J. Howard. Journal of Accountancy 217 (May 2014): 58.
- IRS Bound to Honor Designation of Voluntary Payment by One Taxpayer of Another's Liability. Journal of Accountancy 216 (December 2013): 71-72.
- No Constructive Dividend From Services Rendered at Cost. Journal of Accountancy 216 (September 2013): 72-73.
- Parent Corporation's Options Treated as Positions Held by Subsidiaries. Journal of Accountancy 216 (August 2013): 62-63.
- When Is a Casualty "Sudden, Unexpected, or Unusual"? Journal of Accountancy 215 (May 2013): 64-65.
- Proving Fraud Proves Difficult for IRS. Journal of Accountancy 215 (March 2013): 66-67.
- Telecommunication Tower Leases Not Subject to Self-Rental Passive Income Rule. Journal of Accountancy 215 (February 2013): 70-71.
- Conservation Easements Are Deductible Despite Reimbursement Provision. Journal of Accountancy 215 (January 2013): 58-60.
- No Extended Assessment Period for Innocent S Shareholder. Journal of Accountancy 214 (December 2012): 57-58.
- IRS Wins Again on Appeal of Rehabilitation Credit. Journal of Accountancy 214 (November 2012): 64-65.
- Tax Court's Denial of Easement Deduction Deemed Unreasonable. Journal of Accountancy 214 (October 2012): 62-63.
- No Exclusion for Former Spouse From Assignment of Disability Income. Journal of Accountancy 214 (September 2012): 66.
- The Tax Benefits of Converting a C Corporation with Undervalued Assets. The CPA Journal 80 (April 2010): 42-44
- Recent Judicial Guidance on Conservation Easement Valuations. With C.J. Chiang. Valuation Strategies 14 (November/December 2010): 14-21, updated and reprinted from
- Recent Judicial Guidance on Valuing Conservation Easements. With C.J. Chiang. Taxation of Exempts 22 (March/April 2010): 31-36
- Strategic Planning for Internal Communication. CPA Practice Management Forum 6 (January 2010): 5-9
- Overtime Pay Requirements for Salaried Employees. The CPA Journal 79 (July 2009): 60-63
- When Clients Leave, Learn. CPA Practice Management Forum 5 (June 2009): 5-10
- The Quality and Reliability of Form 990 Data: Are Users Being Misled? With T. Gordon, S.B. Khumawala, and M. Kraut. Academy of Accounting and Financial Studies Journal: Governmental and Not For Profit Issues 11 (Special Issue 2007): 27-49
- Tax-Effective Charitable Donations of Debt-Encumbered Real Estate. TAXES-The Tax Magazine 84 (November 2006): 15-23
- Minimizing SE Tax of LLC Managing Members. The CPA Journal 76 (June 2006): 32-34
- Advertising to Communicate Public Policy: Applying Lessons from Federal Tax Law. With B. Gelb. Journal of Current Issues and Research in Advertising 27 (Fall 2005): 99-105
- Changes in the Learning Environment of Tax Education. The Tax Adviser 33 (February 2002): 130-134
- The Yellow Brick Company: An Instructional Case for Integrating the Teaching of Tax and Managerial Accounting. With C.S.A. Cheng and C.W. Chow. Journal of Accounting Education 14 (Fall 1996): 385-400
- The Effect of Income and Consumption Tax Regimes and Future Tax Rate Uncertainty on Proportional Savings and Risk-taking. The Accounting Review 70 (October 1995): 635-653
- Planning for an Unlimited Revaluation Period on Prior Gifts. TAXES-The Tax Magazine 72 (February 1995): 64-74 reprinted in Financial and Estate Planning 3 (April 1995): 25803-25811
- Transfer Efficiency and the Trickle-up Phenomenon in the Market for Small-issue Private Activity Bonds. With S.Y. Chang. The Journal of the American Taxation Association 16 (Fall 1994): 1-23
- Equitable Exceptions to the Statutes of Limitations: Recoupment, Estoppel, and Tolling. TAXES-The Tax Magazine 71 (August 1993): 487-95
- Deductibility of Points Paid to Refinance a Principal Residence. Real Estate Accounting and Taxation 6 (Spring 1991): 20-7
- Loss Carryovers in Corporate Bankruptcy Reorganizations under Prop. Reg. Sec. 1.269-3(d). With J.E. McClellan. TAXES-The Tax Magazine 69 (April 1991): 229-34
- Differences in Accounting Faculty Perceptions of Relative Job Satisfaction. With J.J. Schultz, Jr. and I.K. Khurana. The Accounting Educator's Journal 3 (Summer 1990): 11-22
- The Impact of Different Capital Gains Tax Regimes on the Lock-in Effect and New Risky Investment Decisions. The Accounting Review 65 (April 1990): 406-31
- Assignment of Income: Gifts of Stock and Dividend Income. TAXES-The Tax Magazine 68 (January 1990): 87-93
- The Changing Roles of Teaching, Research, and Service in the Promotion and Tenure Decisions for Accounting Faculty. With J.J. Schultz, Jr. and I.K. Khurana. Issues in Accounting Education 4 (Spring 1989): 109-19
- The Business Core Curriculum: Is it Time for a Change? The Journal of Education for Business 62 (December 1986): 108-10
- Section 1014(e) and the Lock-in Problem: Basis Considerations in Transfers of Appreciated Property. TAXES-The Tax Magazine 64 (September 1986): 588-94
- Methods, Topics, and Issues in Tax Education: A Year 2001 Perspective. Editor. Sarasota, FL: American Accounting Association (2001)
- Entries in World Book Encyclopedia, The New Palgrave Dictionary of Money and Finance, and others
Academic Associations & Editorial Boards
- American Accounting Association
- American Taxation Association
- Editorial board, Advances in Taxation
Activities & Interests
- Tax Policy
- ACCT 4331 Introduction to Federal Income Tax
- ACCT 7362 Tax Research
- ACCT 7375 Corporate Taxation
- ACCT 7397 Current Issues in Taxation
Ph.D. Arizona State University
M.Acc. Arizona State University
B.S. Arizona State University