Instructional Assistant Professor
Kiran Parthasarathy holds her Doctorate from the University of Houston and has taught over 7000 students in her teaching career. She is deeply committed to student success and in empowering students to be future business leaders. She is the Faculty Director for the Principles Accounting Courses (ACCT 2331 and ACCT 2332) which have enrollment of nearly 4000 students each year. As part of this role, she leads a team of seven instructors in course design, technology adoption and trouble shooting. She has brought forth some innovative techniques to improve student learning outcomes. Her instructor created accounting videos have been provided upon request to the Bauer SURE program and to other Instructors teaching Corporate Taxation and Frameworks in Financial Accounting. In recognition of her efforts, she has received four teaching awards and three TIP grants from the UH Provost. Kiran was recently invited to be part of the Bauer Digital Task Force where she regularly contributes her ideas. She presents and publishes her research in pedagogy and capital markets which in turn serve to instruct her teaching. Prior to entering academia, she has industry experience in Credit Risk and has been a Manager of Financial Derivatives in a Multinational Bank.
- Pedagogy Research in Accounting
- Financial Markets
- Debt Markets
- Accounting Conservatism
- Corporate Governance
- Financial Risk Management
Areas of Expertise
- Faculty Director of Principles Accounting Courses, C.T.Bauer College of Business, University of Houston.
- Outstanding Teaching Award, Spring 2019, Department of Accounting, Bauer College of Business.
- University of Houston, Teaching Excellence Award (Category 4: Clinical), Fall 2017-Spring 2018
- Wayne and Kathryn E. Payne Award for Excellence, C.T. Bauer College of Business, 2017
- Outstanding Teaching Award, Spring 2014, Department of Accounting, Bauer College of Business.
- Provost's Teaching Innovation Program (TIP) Grant Award, University of Houston, Fall 2018, 2017 and 2016.
- Janet Meade and Kiran Parthasarathy, "Did COVID-19 Impact Student Learning in an Introductory Accounting Course?", Business Education Innovation Journal, Volume 12 - Issue 2 (December), 2020, pp.18-22 Parthasarathy Kiran, "Bank Value at Risk (VAR) Disclosures. A Missed Leading Indicator of the 2008 Financial Crisis?", Accounting and Finance Research, Vol 9, No 3 (2020)
- Parthasarathy Kiran, Meade Janet, Krishnamurthy Parthasarathy and Liang Lida, "Do Instructor-Created Videos Improve Student Performance in Introductory Accounting Courses?", Journal of Academic and Business Education (Summer, 2019).
- Parthasarathy Kiran, "The Joint Effects of Monitoring and Incentive Alignment on Accounting Conservatism", Accounting and Finance Research (AFR). Vol. 3 (2014).pp 58-70.
- Parthasarathy Kiran, "The Impact of Levels Versus Change in Earnings in the Estimation of Conditional Conservatism and the Earnings-Returns Anomaly", 2013, Advances in Quantitative Analysis of Finance and Accounting (AQAFA),Volume 11, pp. 29-53
- Parthasarathy, Kiran and Ma, Le (2015), An analysis of student performance in financial accounting classes using personal response technology (clickers) comparing announced and pop quizzes, paper presented in Faculty- Student Collaborations in Accounting (FASTCA) Section of the Annual American Accounting Association Conference, Chicago, August 2015.
- Parthasarathy, Kiran (2014), "Improving student performances in large classes", Conference on Teaching and Learning Accounting, presented paper as Faculty at the CTLA in American Accounting Association Conference, Atlanta, August 2014
Academic Associations & Editorial BoardsMember of American Accounting Association (AAA). Reviewer, American Accounting Association.
Activities & InterestsSinging, reading, travelling, gardening, exercising, painting and cooking.
- MH 390A
- No Web Site Currently
- Financial Accounting (ACCT 2301), Managerial Accounting (ACCT 2302), Frameworks of Accounting (ACCT 3366), IFRS, Auditing and Value at Risk.
University of Houston
University of Houston
Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, New Delhi, India |BCom| University of Madras