Professor - C.T. Bauer Professor of Leadership and Management
Leanne Atwater joined the University of Houston in July 2008. Dr. Atwater earned her bachelor's and Master's degrees from San Diego State University and worked as a personnel research psychologist for the Navy Personnel Research and Development Center. She completed her Ph.D. in social/organizational psychology at Claremont Graduate School in 1985.
She does research in the areas of leadership, self-perception, and gender. She has published over 60 papers in highly respected journals. She is the former editor of The Leadership Quarterly. She teaches leadership and management to graduate and undergraduate students. She also teaches Executive Education for the Bauer College
Areas of Expertise
- Leadership, gender, feedback,
- Recent publications: George, T., Atwater. L., Maneethai, D., & Madera, J. (2022). Supporting productivity and well-being of remote workers: Lessons from Covid 19. Organizational Dynamics, 51, 1-9. doi: 10.1016/j.orgdyn.2021.100869 Kim. K., Atwater, L., Jolly, P., Ugwuanyi, I., Baik, K., & Yu, J. (2021). Supportive leadership and job performance: Contributions of supportive climate, team-member exchange (TMX), and group-mean TMX. Journal of Business Research, 134, 661-674. Atwater, L.E., Sturm, R.E., Taylor, S.N. & Tringale, A. (2021). The era of #MeToo and what managers should do about it. Business Horizons, 64, 2, 307-318. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bushor.2020.12.006. Kim, K., Atwater, L., Jolly, P. M., Kim, M., & Baik. K. (2020). The vicious cycle of work life: Work effort or career development effort. Group and Organization Management, 45, 3, 351-385. Braddy, P., Sturm, R., Atwater, L., Taylor, S., & McKee, R. (2020). Gender bias still plagues the workplace: Looking at derailment risk and performance with self-other ratings. Group and Organization Management, 45, 3, 315-350 Atwater, L., Yu, J., Tawse, A., Fields, L., & McFarren, J., Nae, E. (2019) Relevance of culture in studies of leadership: Ignored or dismissed? Asia Pacific Journal of Management. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10490-019-09678-w Atwater, L., Tringale, A., Sturm, R., Taylor, S., & Braddy, P. (2019). Looking ahead: How what we know about sexual harassment now informs us of the future. Organizational Dynamics, 48, 4, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.orgdyn.2018.08.008. Kim, Y., Atwater, L., Latheef, Z., & Zheng, D. (2018). Three motives for abusive supervision: The mitigating effect of subordinates attributed motives on abusive supervision's negative outcomes. Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies. htps://doi.org/10.1177%2F1548051818781816 Joo, M. K., Yu, G-C., & Atwater, L. E. (2018). Formal mentoring with a leadership component and motivation to lead in South Korea. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 107, 310-326 McKee, R., Lee, Y., Atwater, L., & Antonakis, J. (2018). Effects of personality and gender on self-other agreement in ratings of leadership. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 91, 285-315. Kim, K., Atwater, L., & Smither, J. and Patel, P. (2016). Multi-source feedback, human capital and the financial performance of organizations. Journal of Applied Psychology, 11, 1569-1584. (Ranked among the top 10 studies with practical significance to organizations in 2016.) Taylor, S., Sturm, R., Atwater, L., & Braddy, P. (2016). Underestimating one's leadership impact: Are women leaders more susceptible? Organizational Dynamics, 45, 132-138 Atwater, L., Kim, K., Witt, A., Collison, K., Latheef, Z., Longacre, T., & Zheng, D. (2016). Reactions to abusive supervision: Examining the roles of emotions and gender. International Journal of Human Resources Management, 27, 1874-1899. Day, D., Fleenor, J., Atwater, L., Sturm, R., & McKee, R. (2014). Advances in leaders and leadership development: A review of 25 years of research and theory. Leadership Quarterly, 25, 63-82.
- Bolea, A., & Atwater,L. (2022). Deepening the Leadership Journey, NY: Routledge. Bolea, A., & Atwater, L. (2021). Becoming a Leader: Nine Elements of Leadership Mastery, NY: Routledge. Bolea, A., & Atwater, L. (2015). Applied Leadership Development. Taylor & Francis; Routledge
- Atwater, L., & Waldman, D. (2008). Leadership, Feedback and the Open Communication Gap. LEA.
- Waldman, D. & Atwater, L. (1998). The Power of 360 Degree Feedback. Gulf Publishing.
- Atwater, L., & Penn, R. (Eds.). (1989). Military Leadership: Traditions and Future Trends. Annapolis, MD: Action Printing.
Academic Associations & Editorial BoardsEditorial Board The Leadership Quarterly (former editor 2006 to 2012) ACademy of Management Perspectives
- 602 615 6123
- MH 315H
- No Web Site Currently
- Leadership Development Human Resource Management Organizational Behavior
B.A. - San Diego State University - Psychology
M.A. - San Diego State University - Psychology
Ph.D. - Claremont Graduate School - Social/Organizational Psychology