Associate Professor - Marvin Hurley Professor of Marketing & Entrepreneurship,
Seshadri has a PhD in Business Administration (Marketing) from the University of Southern California. His research interests are in social-media (User-Generated Content), advertising, marketing strategy and sales. He was the MSI Scholar (2022). His past honors include the O'Dell award (2019) for the Journal of Marketing Research article published the last five years that has made the most significant, long-term contribution to marketing theory, methodology, and/or practice, Lehmann Award (2015) for best paper based on dissertation in Journal of Marketing/ Journal of Marketing Research, John A. Howard/AMA Doctoral Dissertation Award (2012), and best paper based on doctoral dissertation at European Marketing Conference (2009). He was awarded with the best reviewer award by the International Journal of Research in Marketing and Journal of Interactive Marketing. He was a finalist for Bass Dissertation award (2014, Marketing Science) and an honorable mention in Shankar-Spiegel Award (2008), instituted by Marketing EDGE (formerly Direct Marketing Educators Foundation).
- User Generated Content (UGC)
- Marketing Strategy
- Machine Learning
- Tirunillai, Seshadri and Tellis, Gerard (2012). Does Chatter Really Matter? Dynamics of User-Generated Content and Stock Performance. Marketing Science (31-2 p198-215)
- Mining Marketing Meaning from Online Chatter: Seshadri Tirunillai and Gerard J. Tellis (2014) Strategic Brand Analysis of Big Data Using Latent Dirichlet Allocation. Journal of Marketing Research. 51:4, 463-479
- Tirunillai, Seshadri, and Gerard J. Tellis (2017). "Does offline TV advertising affect online chatter? Quasi-experimental analysis using synthetic control." Marketing Science 36.6, 862-878.
- Bommaraju, R., Ahearne, M., Hall, Z. R., Tirunillai, S., & Lam, S. K. (2018). The Impact of Mergers and Acquisitions on the Sales Force. Journal of Marketing Research, 55(2), 254-264.
- Bommaraju, R., Ahearne, M., Krause, R., & Tirunillai, S. (2019). Does a Customer on the Board of Directors Affect Business-to-Business Firm Performance? Journal of Marketing, 83(1), 8-23.
- Tellis, G. J., MacInnis, D. J., Tirunillai, S., & Zhang, Y. (2019). What drives virality (Sharing) of online digital content? The critical role of information, emotion, and brand prominence.Journal of Marketing, 83(4), 1-20.
- Shankar, Venkatesh, Kirthi Kalyanam, Pankaj Setia, Alireza Golmohammadi, Seshadri Tirunillai, Tom Douglass, John Hennessey, J. S. Bull, and Rand Waddoups. (2021) "How technology is changing retail." Journal of Retailing 97, no. 1: 13-27.
- Wiseman, P., Ahearne, M., Hall, Z., & Tirunillai, S. (2022). Onboarding Salespeople: Socialization Approaches. Journal of Marketing
- Irene Nahm, Ahearne, M., Lee, N., Tirunillai, S. (2022) Managing Positive and Negative Trends in Sales Call Outcomes: The Role of Momentum, Journal of Marketing Research
Academic Associations & Editorial Boards
- Journal of Marketing Research
- Marketing Science
- Journal of Interactive Marketing
- International Journal of Marketing Research
- Journal of Business Research
- Melcher Hall -385C
- No Web Site Currently
- MARK 7366 (Masters - MS/MBA) - Digital Marketing Analytics
- MARK 3365 (Undergraduate) - Introduction to Internet Marketing
Ph.D (Business Administration)
University of Southern California
School of Management, Indian Institute of Technology-Bombay, India
B.E (Hons) (Electrical and Electronics)
Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani, India