Undergraduate Transfer Credit Guide

Taking Prerequisites at Another School (Permission to Register)

Students who are planning to take a prerequisite course at another school will not be able to register for courses the following semester if the prerequisite course(s) are not completed and transferred to UH before the start of the registration cycle for the following semester.

For example, if a student is planning to take ACCT 2331 at another school in the summer semester, they will not be able to register for ACCT 2332 at UH for the fall semester because at the time of registration, the prerequisite course would not have been completed and transferred to UH.

In order to facilitate the registration process, students are encouraged to request permission to register for a class(es) while completing a prerequisite course at another school. A separate request is required for each course.

By submitting a request, students agree to complete the following steps below to ensure that their records are updated in a timely manner.

Student's agreement:

  1. If student does not make a grade of C or better in the required prerequisite(s), student will drop the corresponding prerequisite course that student enrolled in by the last day for a refund (note that if a student is not enrolled in any classes at UH, that is considered a withdrawal, and refunds are pro-rated).
  2. Student will request an electronic transmission of the transcript from the school where student will be taking the prerequisite as soon as the grades post.
  3. Student will check their student account to see if the transfer credit has been awarded in a timely fashion (allow 10 business days for processing), and will follow up with the Office of Admissions in the Welcome Center and will notify student’s academic advisor if it is not processed by that time.

Upon approval, the student will receive notification that they have been approved for registration.

Permission to Register Form

CORE Courses

Students who have taken CORE courses at another Texas public 2- or 4-year institution do not need to petition courses to UH. If the course taken was CORE at a Texas institution it will transfer in as CORE at UH. If they are not coded properly as meeting core at UH on your Transfer evaluation, contact the Office of Transfer Admissions, 122 Welcome Center. Please visit UH Transfer Equivalency Guide for more information. Consult the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Core Web Center for a listing of approved core courses from other Texas public two- or four-year institutions: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/apps/tcc.

CORE Communication Requirement [010]

Students who took both Core Communication courses [010] at another Texas public two- or four-year institution, and the second course was a course other than ENGL 1304 [Texas Common Course Number ENGL 1302], may request to substitute it for ENGL 1304. Consult the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Core Web Center for a listing of approved core courses from other Texas public two- or four-year institutions: http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/apps/tcc.

If you are not Core complete, and plan to take other Core component courses such as Language, Philosophy, and Culture or Creative Arts at UH, many of these courses have ENGL 1304 as a prerequisite without substitution. ENGL 1304 may also be required if you change your major from business to a non-business major or declare certain non-business minors.

For questions or to request a substitution of your Core 010 course for ENGL 1304 on your degree requirements, consult with your Pre-business advisor or email bba@uh.edu.

30 Hour Residency Requirement

Students must complete the last 30 hours of coursework at UH to receive a degree. Please keep in mind the residency requirements for graduation. Students who transfer courses in their last 30 hours will break residency and are disapproved for graduation. Students taking courses during a mini-semester at a transfer school should assume the course credit will be counted in the semester (fall, spring, or summer) following.

Petition for Course Equivalency

Students transferring to UH Bauer may petition for courses that were not accepted as equivalent. Students with domestic and/or international transfer courses should follow these steps:

  1. Access the Undergraduate Transfer Credit Petition http://www.uh.edu/academics/forms
  2. Read Instructions, Complete, and Print the petition
  3. Must attach your Course Description and Course Syllabus (from the institution where you received credit for the transfer course)
  4. Attach additional supplemental required documentation (review petition instructions or contact specific UH Colleges/Departments for details)

Business majors take them to the Office of Undergraduate Business Programs, 262 Melcher Hall, regardless of the subject of the course. It will be logged in and reviewed to make sure that it has complete documentation before it is routed to the appropriate department. Once a decision has been made, if approved, one copy of the processed petition will be sent to Transfer Admissions to change it on your transfer record. Whether approved or disapproved, another copy will be emailed to you by the Office of Undergraduate Business Programs. For questions on the status of the petition or if you have not received a reply within four weeks, contact bba@uh.edu.

Petition for MIS 3300

MIS 3300 is an introduction to computers and management information systems covering MIS concepts, advanced Word features, Access database, and extensive Excel for business decision making.

Students with credit for BCIS 1305 or BCIS 1405 will receive transfer credit as MIS 1FOS (the computer literacy course for the Field of Study in Business). Students with college credit for an introductory tools and concepts MIS course that transferred as a General Elective have the option to petition that course to count as MIS 1FOS. MIS 1FOS with a grade of C or higher meets the computer course requirement for the BBA and business minors that require a computer literacy course. However, all students who need to take STAT 3331 as a degree requirement must meet the additional prerequisite for that course of an Excel Competency Exam (for further information, see: http://www.bauer.uh.edu/undergraduate/advising).

Petition for GENB 4350 and Writing in the Discipline

Because GENB 4350 meets the UH CORE Writing in the Discipline (WID) requirement, students who are petitioning for transfer credit for a course equivalent to GENB 4350 must meet all three of the following conditions:

  1. Completion of a course (or a combination of courses) covering the following subjects:
    • Business ethics; and
    • Business law (covering contracts, agency, and business organizations).
  2. The course(s) requested for equivalency status must be junior level or higher.
  3. Fulfillment of the Writing in the Discipline requirement by one of the following methods:
    1. The course (or combination of courses) receiving transfer credit must have had significant writing assignments (typically for GENB 4350, students complete 5 papers, together totaling between 4,000-5,000 words for the course).
    2. Completion of another course designated by UH as "writing intensive;" or
    3. Completion of an alternative course that contained a significant (3,000 word) writing component (and that is not already counted toward degree requirements).

Equivalency for FINA 3332 & STAT 3331

  • Students that have completed & transferred a similar course (as determined by the Bauer College) with a grade of "C" or better at another institution may request to take an equivalency exam in order to receive credit. If the student’s course is deemed an appropriate equivalent AND the student earns a passing score on the equivalency exam, then the student will be awarded transfer credit for the course with substitution.
  • Students can only take each departmental exam once and are not eligible to take the exam if they have attempted or completed the course at UH.
  • Students may only request to take one departmental exam (FINA or STAT, not both) per administration.
  • Students changing their major to business that have completed a similar statistics course in other colleges at UH (such as ECON 2370, INDE 2333, etc.) are also required to pass the equivalency exam in order to waive the business equivalent with substitution.

You may request to take the exam by using the link to the online request form below. The deadline to submit the online form and all required documentation (course syllabus + Transfer Credit Petition) is 2 business days prior to the exam. A minimum of 24 hours notice is required if you are unable to take the exam as scheduled. Please send an email to bba@uh.edu to cancel your registration. Failure to cancel within these guidelines will forfeit your eligibility to take the exam in the future.

Examination Dates

Friday, July 26, 2019
Friday, August 16, 2019


9-11 a.m. for FINA exam.
9-12 p.m. for STAT exam.


The location of the exam will be in one of the rooms in Melcher Hall. Upon approval, an email will be sent to the student informing them of the location of the exam.

Allotted Time

60 minutes is allotted for the FINA exam. 3 hours are allotted for the STAT exam.

Examination Format
  • No textbooks, notes or other materials may be brought in for use during the exam.
Review Materials

For FINA 3332, it is recommended that students review the material covered in the "Principles of Financial Management" course at the Bauer College. Click here for the course syllabus.

For STAT 3331, click here for an overview of proficiency exam topics and here for the formula sheet.

What to Bring
  • Calculators that are permitted include TI-30XA, TI-30XIIB, TI-30XIIS
    (Devices with texting or internet capability/connectivity are not permitted).
  • Picture ID
  • Pen/Pencils
  • Cell phones & PDAs will not be permitted in the examination room.

Equivalency Exam Request Form

Transferring International Credit

The Office of International Admissions will process an initial transfer evaluation. Students may petition for transfer credit as outlined above if courses did not automatically transfer to meet degree requirements.

The Department of Accountancy and Taxation does not accept international transfer credit. However, credit for Financial and Managerial Accounting may be received by passing a CLEP exam for ACCT 2331 and credit may be received by passing a departmental exam for ACCT 2332. Students wishing to earn credit for these courses must contact Testing Services for information http://www.las.uh.edu/uts or call (713) 743-5444.

Note: Students who have accounting credit that is 7 years and older will need to retake the specific accounting courses as required by the Accounting Department.


Prospective Students
Welcome to Bauer
High School Students
Transfer Students
Current UH Students (Non-Business)
Summer Visiting Students
Second-degree Seeking Students
Former Students
High School Enrichment Programs
Summer Institutes
Business Plan Competition
File a Degree Plan
Courses & Enrollment
Transfer Credit Guide
Former Student Admissions
Academic Notice
Academic Probation
Academic Suspension
Academic Resources
Contact Us
Business Majors
Accountancy & Taxation
Management Information Systems
Supply Chain Management
Bauer Honors
Business Minors
Choosing a Major
Bauer in D.C. Fellowship
About the Program
How to Apply
Plan for D.C.
Intern in D.C.
Fellow Experience
Contact Us
Emerging Leaders Academic Success Program
For Freshmen Students
For Transfer Students
Bauer Ambassadors
Nonprofit Leadership Alliance Certificate
Ted Bauer Leadership Certificate Program
Bauer Leadership Council
Future Careers
UH Career Center
GPA Calculator
Commencement Ceremony
Community Outreach

ELASP Fall 2019 Application is Open

Apply Here

Follow us!
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

Contact Us

Questions about ELASP:

Emerging Leaders Academic Success Program
C. T. Bauer College of Business
University of Houston
334 Melcher Hall Room 262
Houston, TX 77204-6021

See Also:

Contact Us

Business Programs

334 Melcher Hall, Room 262
Houston, TX 77204-6021
Email: bba@uh.edu